Mission and Theme
The Islam & Liberty Network exists to explore and promote a Muslim case for freedom. We consider the words freedom and liberty to be interchangeable.
By freedom, we mean:
- Religious freedom
- Political freedom
- Economic freedom
Our mission is to apply serious intellectual efforts to demonstrate that Islam and a free society are compatible. Poor quality thinking can only be changed by better thinking. We promote change with our annual programme which includes an international conference, a regional residential workshop, opinion articles, and podcasts.
Who we are
Islam and Liberty Network (L) Foundation is legally organised as a non-profit Labuan foundation registered in Malaysia and is governed by an international board of directors, all of whom except for the part-time CEO give their time freely. Founded in 2011, it is a platform for researchers, academics and public intellectuals to explore and promote a Muslim case for religious, economic and political freedom by disseminating knowledge and developing human resources. We are funded by like minded foundations and individuals.
All of our work focuses on three distinct but related themes and is rooted in the Islamic sources. They are: Religious Freedom (freedom of religion and faith, expression and practice); Economic Freedom (open markets, voluntary exchange, and low taxes); and Political Freedom (liberal democracy, rule of law and limited government).
- Publish and widely disseminate high quality content, scholarly papers and articles.
- Develop a vibrant network of public intellectuals, scholars, and researchers.
- Create a network of institutions around the world to support our research and events.
- Educate and train young researchers, writers, teachers and journalists.
What we have done?
- Organized 7 International Conferences in Morocco, Pakistan, Malaysia, Turkey, and Indonesia in which more than 1000 academics, researchers, intellectuals and students from 25 countries have participated.
- Conducted 2 Summer Workshops in Iran and Tunisia
- Published 3 books:
- “Islamic Foundations of a Free Society”
- “Democratic Transitions in the Muslim World”
- “Building an Islamic Case for Open Markets: History, Theory and Practice”
- Released 10 webinars and 26 podcasts
Our Current Program
Annual International Conference
Our main event is an international conference bringing together scholars from around the world to discuss Islam and liberty over two full days, where 15-18 high-quality papers are presented and debated with a diverse audience.
Featuring a wide array of topics for scholarly debate and public education.
Islam and Liberty Summer Workshop
A three-day regional residential workshop, featuring our core faculty and guest speakers giving lectures, workshops, and seminars for young researchers.
The ILN Voice: Podcasts & Webinars
Promising lively discussion on topical issues surrounding Islam, society, and economy presented by leading experts.
We ask you to consider becoming an annual donor or a one-time donor. We seek regular institutional funding from donors to be spent on our programs and outreach activities, as well as to develop organizational capacity.
Please e-mail Ali Salman (CEO) at email@example.com or call him at 00 60 113355 0801 for details on how to support us.
You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about our network.